Toni is in Oklahoma, visiting her friends and family...she is the Maid of Honor in Kara's wedding. I guess that since Toni is married, she would technically be called a 'Matron' and not a 'Maid,' but you know what I mean. Anyway. Toni is back in Oklahoma for the week, which means I get to pretend like I am a bachelor again.
And I am a college student again, having been accepted into Portland State. So I was in the kitchen this afternoon, trying to think of something to eat for lunch, and I asked myself, "what would a bachelor college student be eating for lunch?" The answer was too easy: Top Ramen, of course.
But I can't do anything easy, you know. I like to play with my food, and I came up with this recipe in a fit of creativity. And honestly: I think it is the best Ramen recipe I have ever come up with. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
-----
Ramen Foo Young
1 packet of Top Ramen, chicken and mushroom flavor
1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 t. minced garlic
1 green onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
2/3 C. water
1 t. soy sauce
1 T. all-purpose flour
1 C. cooked rice
Bring 2" of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, and add the ramen noodles. Cover tightly and let the noodles soften for 4 minutes. Drain well, and blot the noodles on a paper towl to dry.
Heat the oil in a heavy, stick-resistant wok or skillet. Add the garlic and onion, and cook until slightly browned. Add the softened noodles, and stir-fry on medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until the noodles separate and begin to brown. Add the beaten egg, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the egg-noodle omelete. Cook another 2 minutes, then remove the omelete.
Return the empty wok to the burner. Wisk together 2/3 cup of the cold water, the soy sauce, the flour, and the chicken-mushroom seasoning packet in a small bowl. Pour this mixture into the wok and cook over medium heat, wisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil and a smooth brown gravy forms. Cook for 2-3 minutes longer, adding more water if the gravy becomes too thick. Remove from heat.
Put the cooked rice in a shallow bowl, lay the omelete over the rice, and pour the mushroom gravy on top. Garnish with a sliver of green onion, and serve immediately with hot green tea.
Serves 1 or 2. I imagine it would be easy to multiply this recipe, but you would have to cook each omelete separately.
No comments:
Post a Comment